The first Christian Science gathering in Sevenoaks took place in the house of a Mr James whose healing through Christian Science had aroused interest in this new religion.
Two years later meetings were held in the Oddfellows Hall in London Road.
In 1908 the ground floor at the back of a shop in the High Street was rented to provide space for a Reading Room where people could find out more about Christian Science; this was later moved to a hut near the railway station.
In August 1910 the Sevenoaks Christian Science Society was organised and advertised in the Christian Science Journal. Two services were held on Sundays and there was a testimony meeting once a month.. Also in 1910 new rooms for services were found in The Market Place, High Street, which were large enough to accommodate a Reading Room–cum-Sunday School for young people up to the age of 20.
In 1912 a plot of land near the old main post office in South Park was donated by a Christian Scientist to the Society, and in 1915 a temporary church was erected together with accommodation for a Reading Room and Sunday School.
By 1925 the Society had grown to become the First Church of Christ Scientist, Sevenoaks when weekly testimony meetings were introduced.
In the early 1930’s a building fund for the erection of a permanent church edifice was set up, and in 1934 a substantial donation by a Christian Scientist made it possible for the start of the new building, on the site of the old boating pool of the The Lime Tree Hotel, for a congregation of just over 200 in late 1935.
The first service in the new building was held in November 1936.
A 500-pipe Walker organ was installed in the church auditorium in 1950.
In 2009 the church reverted back to being a Christian Science Society.
In March 2013 the church building was sold to a housing developer and services were transferred to the Town Council Chamber in Bradbourne Vale Road.
After many months of searching, Caxton House – a building originally designed as offices – was acquired with the aim of refurbishing one of its two floors as facilities for the Society’s services, Sunday School and other activities, whilst bringing the other floor up to date as offices to let.
Planning permission was sought and obtained, and the refurbishment project was completed in time for us to hold our first Sunday Service on August 6th 2017.